The Orleans Parish Sheriff's Office announced Thursday a series of corrective actions taken since last week's revelation of the mistaken release of an inmate.
"This incident reflects a failure in execution, and we are taking full accountability," said Sheriff Susan Hutson. "The people of New Orleans deserve a jail that operates with precision and professionalism. I want the public to know that this office takes its obligations seriously and that we are responding with the urgency and transparency this matter demands."
The sheriff office released Khalil Bryan by mistake, confusing him with an inmate named Kavin Bryan. The mistake wasn't caught until ten hours later, and Kavin Bryan did not get his release on bond for nearly another eleven hours.
"This was an avoidable breach of protocol, and we have taken decisive action," said Chief of Corrections Jay Mallett. "The changes we’re making now will strengthen our systems and reinforce the standards our staff is expected to meet every single day. Accountability is how we move forward."
As a result, the sheriff's office fired two deputies, and suspended five others. From now on, all releases must be verified by a sergeant or higher.
The sheriff's office is revising its release protocols and require jail staff to receive additional training on verifying ID and release process.
The office said it is also conducting a full review competencies and leadership accountability.
Meanwhile, Khalil Bryan remains at large and is wanted by the authorities. Anyone with information is asked to call 911, or the Orleans Parish Sheriff's Office at (504) 881-7520, or Crimestoppers at (504) 822-1111 or toll free at (877) 903-7867 (STOP).
Callers to Crimestoppers do not have to leave their names and may be eligible for a cash reward.