Cuomo aims to curb gun violence with 4,000 jobs for NYC at-risk youth
NEW YORK (1010 WINS) — Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced on Wednesday that he would add 4,000 summer jobs and full-time jobs with training for at-risk youth in New York City.
"To end gun violence, we must empower communities & provide economic opportunity," Cuomo said. "Today we announced: -More than 4,000 jobs for at-risk youth in emerging NYC hotspots -Funding for 2,000 summer jobs for 15-24yos -A partnership with @CWENYC to get young people long-term jobs," he wrote on Twitter.
After declaring a "disaster emergency on gun violence" in the state last week, Cuomo met with state and community leaders including New York City's Democratic nominee for mayor, Eric Adams at Lenox Road Baptist Church in Brooklyn to discuss initiatives to respond to ongoing gun violence in places like East Brooklyn.
Cuomo said this is the first community in the state that is being reached out to. "I believe the product of this meeting and the ones that come after will be saving young lives," he added.
Reaching at-risk youth, "before they enter the pipeline of the system," is one of the state's most important strategies to reduce gun violence.
Other key initiatives include creating jobs and summer programs for at-risk youth, increasing the presence of violence interveners in the community, as well as expanding community services and assistance for mental health, substance abuse, and family crisis.














