DALLAS (105.3 The Fan) - The Dallas Cowboys and offensive coordinator Kellen Moore have mutually agreed to part ways, according to multiple reports.
Quarterbacks coach Doug Nussmeier, whose contract is expiring, was also expected not to be back as part of the offensive shakeup, reports said.
Moore was the candidate for the head coaching job with the Carolina Panthers, but ultimately was passed over by Frank Reich.
In absence of Moore next season, Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy will take over play calling duties.
When asked about Moore's status with the franchise last week, McCarthy was, at best, non-committal to his play caller, declining to clearly comment on his status.
"I don't want to play this game today,'' McCarthy told the media. “Kellen Moore, just like the rest of the coaches, will be evaluated. I’m hopefully to get together with Kellen as early as (Friday)."
Now, after that evaluation, Moore is heading elsewhere.
Under Moore's direction, the Cowboys have remained an elite offense over the last four seasons, finishing 2022 with the NFL's No. 11 total offense and No. 4 scoring offense, despite Prescott missing multiple games.
In 2021, with Prescott playing a full season, the Cowboys finished the year with the NFL's No. 1 scoring offense, averaging 31.2 points per game, as well as the NFL's No. 1 total offense, averaging 407 yards per outing.
But now, with the Cowboys dropping a 19-12 decision to the San Francisco 49ers in the division round, and the offense struggling mightily in that loss, Dallas appears ready to make some drastic changes.
Nussmeier, 52, was promoted to quarterbacks coach in 2020, after spending the preceding two years as tight ends coach.