DALLAS (105.3 The Fan) - Already struggling to find consistency at the position following Dak Prescott's season ending injury, the Dallas Cowboys are set to start their fourth different starting quarterback on Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Following a week long competition between the newly signed Garrett Gilbert and Cooper Rush, the Cowboys, as first reported on Friday by 105.3 the Fan's Mike Fisher, finally decided on that starter naming Gilbert as the first string quarterback on Saturday.
Rush, who was with the Cowboys under the Jason Garrett regime and previously backed up Dak Prescott, will reportedly back up Gilbert on Sunday, with rookie Ben DiNucci taking third string duites.
"Obviously, Garrett has a little more current experience than Cooper because he's been here (longer),'' coach Mike McCarthy said. "We're just working through all that. But my goal is just to make sure both guys are ready for Sunday."
Andy Dalton, who would typically be the starting quarterback in these situations, will miss the match up due to being placed on the NFL's Reserve/COVID-19 list this week. Dalton also missed the previous week against the Philadelphia Eagles due to a concussion.
"Obviously hoping Andy gets back as soon as possible and gets well soon,'' Gilbert said this week. "But I'm excited about it. I think Cooper's in the same boat. Whoever's name is called Sunday we're both going to be excited about the opportunity. We're getting ready to win a game, so the two of us are preparing the best we can together to get ready to go win a football game."
Gilbert must now face an undefeated Steelers team that boasts one of the toughest defenses in the league, which allows an average of just 310.7 yards per game (3rd best in the NFL), and ranks sixth in the NFL giving up just 20.3 points per game.
