DALLAS (105.3 The Fan) - The Dallas Cowboys cleared $7 million in cap room on Friday after restructuring the deal of star running back Ezekiel Elliott.
The re-structure, according to reports, was a built in contingency to Elliott's contract, moving $8.6 million from his $9.6 base salary, and converting it into a bonus.
The purpose of this restructure could mean a variety of things for Dallas, including a chase of a backup quarterback, or more specifically, the Chicago Bears third-string QB, Nick Foles.
However, according to 105.3 the Fan Dallas Cowboys Mike Fisher, that is not the case, and Dallas is meant as a “just-in-case” device for this year or even for a carryover year.
Sources have also told Fisher that the re-done deal is in no way changing the Cowboys' "contract escapability” with Elliott, which still has the same March 2023 timeline as previously reported.
A two-time NFL rushing champion, Elliott is presently under contract through 2026 and looking to return to his 2019 form, in which he ran 1,357 yards and 12 touchdowns, after a disappointing 2020 season.
"You've got to experience the lows to enjoy the highs," said Elliott, who this year has trimmed his playing weight by 10 pounds, down to 218. "I definitely had some lows last year, so I am ready to experience some highs this year."
Listen to Dallas sports talk now on Audacy and shop the latest Mavericks team gear




