NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- In the days and weeks that followed the horrifying partial collapse of the 12-story Champlain Towers South in Surfside, Florida -- which claimed 97 lives -- graphic images of towering mounds of concrete debris from the site of the June 24 tragedy left the world stunned.
Listen to your favorite News/Talk station now on Audacy
Fast forward to this week, and the site looks unrecognizable: According to images tweeted by State Sen. Jason Pizzo Tuesday, the site has largely been cleared. Gone are most of the mounds of debris and rubble -- and the personal artifacts littered among the debris.
A Miami-Dade County spokesperson confirmed Wednesday that the site of the collapse had been “mostly cleared.”
Still, said the spokesperson, the recovery effort and search goes on.
“What’s happening now is that the first responders are conducting additional searches of the debris at the collection site,” the spokesperson said. “They’re continuing to do everything that they can to be as thorough as possible in the search for any additional remains to bring closure to families.”