Bears cleared to practice Thursday after initially calling it off due to COVID-19 concerns

The Bears had three practice squad players test positive for the virus earlier this week.
75756A5E-120A-4932-810C-2FD980DB785E

(670 The Score) After shutting down Halas Hall and initially canceling practice amid COVID-19 concerns, the Bears have been cleared to resume football activities and will hold practice Thursday afternoon.

The news came after the Bears received notice Thursday of another positive test for COVID-19 within the organization, later placing returner DeAndre Carter on the COVID-19 reserve list. Three practice squad players tested positive earlier this week.

The team initially decided to pause football activities out of an abundance of caution, coach Matt Nagy said in a media session Thursday morning.

"It’s our decision to protect the players and the coaches, the staffs and their families, and do what’s best for the team," Nagy said Thursday morning.

On Monday, the team placed practice squad linebacker Manti Te'o and defensive lineman LaCale London on the COVID-19 reserve list after they each tested positive. On Tuesday, practice squad receiver Thomas Ives was designated to that list.

All three practice squad players were believed to have tested positive independent of each other, meaning the Bears and NFL had ruled out an outbreak through contact tracing. The belief is that the fourth positive case Thursday was also separate from the other three, Nagy said.

The Bears dealt with a similar situation in early November after center Cody Whitehair and two other players tested positive in a week. It led to the team shutting down its facility and placing several players on the COVID-19 reserve list as close contacts. Chicago still played its scheduled game at Tennessee on the Sunday of that week.

The Bears (5-7) are scheduled to host the Texans (4-8) on Sunday at Soldier Field.

Chris Emma covers the Bears, Chicago’s sports scene and more for 670TheScore.com. Follow him on Twitter @CEmma670.