Now that the dust has settled, we're starting to get a clearer picture of why Kellen Moore's time as the Cowboys' offensive coordinator came to an end.
When the Cowboys announced last month that they were moving on from Moore after four years as the OC, the organization described the parting as a "mutual decision."
But according to Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones, it was coach Mike McCarthy who ultimately decided it was best that Moore moved on.
According to reporters, including Nick Eatman and Kyle Youmans of DallasCowboys.com, Jones told the media at the Senior Bowl in Indianapolis on Tuesday that McCarthy initiated the conversation with the team's front office about a desire to call plays, which led to Moore's ouster.
“We’re not satisfied with where we got to. We weren’t good enough this year. We have to accept that and we have to improve," Jones said, via Jon Machota of The Athletic. “In (McCarthy's) mind, we can be better. Not that Kellen didn't (get the job done). We can take the next step on offense … get to the next level.”
Jones went on to say that McCarthy being the play-caller "absolutely" speaks to the team's commitment to him as the head coach.
"Mike, obviously, for most of his career, he was the play-caller. He may have given it up briefly at one point in time, but for the most part he's been the play-caller, and he was the play-caller for the tremendous success he had in Green Bay."
Moore wasn't out of a job for long, as he quickly found a home with the Chargers as their next offensive coordinator. Dallas named former consultant Brian Schottenheimer as their new offensive coordinator earlier this month.