Skip to content

Condition: Post with Page_List

Listen
Search
Please enter at least 3 characters.

Latest Stories

Pirates say Konnor Griffin ahead of schedule

Shortstop on 60-day IL eligible to return on September 4

Pirates say Konnor Griffin ahead of schedule

Joe Sargent / Getty Images

PITTSBURGH (93.7 The Fan) – On the day Oneil Cruz returned to the Pirates, good news about shortstop Konnor Griffin. He’s ahead of schedule and could be back in a couple weeks.




Griffin suffered a torn tendon on his ring finger on July 5 and was placed on the 60-day injured list.

Monday was his six-week follow-up with team physicians including the Pirates hand specialist and head orthopedic surgeon and Griffin ‘is a little bit ahead of schedule'.

According to Pirates Director of Sports Medicine Todd Tomczyk, he’s been able to transition out of hand splints and over the next 48-72 hours he will be able to put his hand in a glove for the first time since the injury. Griffin will also be cleared to fully grip the bat.

He had already been doing every other baseball activity that didn’t involve that finger and they believe that will make for a ‘smoother and quicker transition back to baseball activities.’

The plan is to send Griffin to Bradenton when the team goes on the road Thursday. He will start playing catch and begin a swinging progression.

“All in all, very, very good news for Konnor,” Tomczyk said.

He wouldn’t be eligible to return, based on the rules of the injured list, until September 4. They will know more about when he will return after time in Florida.

“But, at this time, we’re optimistic that that first day he’s eligible to return is still in play at this time,” Tomczyk said.

In his rookie season, the 20-year-old is hitting .276 with a .332 on-base percentage, .736 OPS with 10 doubles, two triples, five home runs, 25 RBIs with 20 stolen bases.

Shortstop on 60-day IL eligible to return on September 4