September is Sickle Cell Awareness Month. Dale
Murray talks with Khristina Reid, Executive Director
of the Virginia Sickle Cell Network. A community of
individuals with sickle cell disease, caregivers,
healthcare workers and those who provide whole-
person health for individuals for individuals and
families living with sickle cell.
FACTS ABOUT SICKLE CELL DISEASE
- Most common inherited blood disorder in the
- Affects approximately 100,000 Americans
- 1 out of every 365 Black or African American
babies are born with sickle cell disease
- About 1 in 16,300 Hispanic-Americans babies
are born with sickle cell disease.
- About 1 in 13 Black or African-Americans
babies are born with sickle cell trait