Odell: 'I just don’t think COVID can get to me'

75756A5E-120A-4932-810C-2FD980DB785E

Browns receiver Odell Beckham Jr. wasn’t concerned last week he had COVID-19 and he didn't sound worried Wednesday that he's going to get it either.

Beckham was sent home last Thursday in line with league protocols due to an illness and he rejoined the team Saturday after multiple tests came back negative.

“Not in an arrogant way, I just don't think COVID can get to me,” Beckham said Wednesday. “I don't think it's going to enter this body. I don't want no parts of it, it don't want no parts of me. I think it's a mutual respect.”

With the extensive steps taken by the Browns and NFL this season during the pandemic so they can play safely, Beckham was quick to self-report.

“I wasn’t worried about the tests,” Beckham said. “I was just more, in my mind for me and my maturity level, I felt like it was the right thing to do, to mention I may not have been feeling well. I just wouldn’t want it to spread throughout the whole building if there was a case that I would’ve possibly have it. I was just trying to be an adult and be [cautious] about the situation and try and handle it the right way.”

The NFL and NFL Players Association reported this week there were eight new confirmed positive tests among players and 11 new confirmed positives among other personnel from tests administered Oct. 11-17.

The illness meant that Beckham had to miss Thursday and Friday’s practices because two negative COVID-19 tests 24 hours apart are required after symptoms are experienced under league guidelines before a player can rejoin a team

“It sucks, but that is just what we have set up for this year,” Beckham said. “That is what they seem to have voted on and did all these phone calls and everything to come up with whatever the game plan is going to be. Like coach said, just embrace the suck. It is what it is. It just part of the 2020 season.”