During his end-of-the-season press conference earlier this week, Warriors coach Steve Kerr identified Bob Myers’ expiring contract as the No. 1 priority for the organization to figure out this summer.
On Wednesday night, Shams Charania and Anthony Slater of The Athletic reported that the Warriors and Myers have had “no substantial contract extension talks in months and the sides are bracing for the likelihood that Myers could walk away from the franchise,” citing sources.
On 95.7 The Game’s “Willard & Dibs” Thursday, Mark Willard cited sources who say the Warriors have made a big offer to keep around the architect of the dynasty.
“Bob Myers has been offered an incredibly lucrative contract by the Golden State Warriors,” Willard said. “And, the idea that Bob has made his decision and that Bob is very likely gone, is being wildly overstated."
It’d cost a pretty penny to keep Myers around – assuming the 48-year-old wants to keep doing the job. But he’s a key presence in the organization and has a direct line to the championship core. His credibility within the locker room and the building would be virtually impossible to match for any new GM.
Throughout the past few months, Myers has repeatedly told the press that he doesn’t want to make a decision until it’s necessary. Now there are about six weeks left before his contract expires on June 30, with the NBA Draft upcoming on June 22.
Myers is currently in Chicago for pre-draft meetings and is expected to speak with reporters in San Francisco early next week.