The Yankees officially announced Aaron Judge’s signing on Tuesday, with a 10 a.m. Wednesday press conference to re-introduce the newest Yankee captain.
But in between, it was Mets owner Steve Cohen who stole the headlines by swooping in at whatever is after the eleventh hour to sign Carlos Correa to an 12-year, $315 million deal after the Giants, who had agreed to a deal with the shortstop earlier this month, canceled a scheduled Tuesday introduction and backed out of their agreement after a disagreement about something in Correa’s medicals.
Judge found out about it waking up for his own intro presser Wednesday, and this is what he told MLB Network’s Hot Stove about the signing:
“It’s exciting news. I found out this morning getting up. New York’s the best place to play. I think he knows that, and he values going out and winning, being in a winning culture, a winning organization,” Judge said. “The Mets are building a winning team over there, they’ve got some great pieces over there, they’ve got a good young core of guys and have some guys locked up for quite a long time so I think Carlos will like playing in New York, that’s for sure.”
There could be no love lost between Judge and Correa, who was part of the Astros teams that eliminated the Yankees in 2015, 2017, and 2019. But, it seems, Judge is happy to have another superstar signed across town as part of Cohen’s offseason spree.
No matter what, it's been a frustrating offseason for San Francisco fans losing out to New York teams in free agency.
Follow Lou DiPietro on Twitter: @LouDiPietroWFAN