When speaking to the media Friday, Mets manager Luis Rojas said Jacob deGrom “came out strong” after a rigorous bullpen session on Thursday, but apparently not?
During their post-trade deadline media session with President Sandy Alderson and acting GM Zack Scott, the Mets announced that deGrom had an MRI this afternoon that revealed additional inflammation in his right arm, and he will be shut down from throwing for two weeks, after which he will require a ramp-up – meaning it will likely be at least September, if at all, before deGrom returns to the Mets.
Just a few hours prior, Rojas had said that Thursday’s outing for deGrom was a “light side” until the last four pitches, when “he ramped it up because he wanted to get a feel for some strength behind the ball” and threw a few pitches in the upper 90s.
deGrom had the choice to play catch on Friday but didn’t, Rojas saying that was okay because the decision was up to him and the team wanted his feedback.
However, Scott and Alderson said that the Mets received the news on deGrom’s MRI just a couple hours before the trade deadline, but that didn’t change their approach as the hours ticked down.
“You can’t replace Jacob deGrom,” Scott bluntly said.
The Mets did acquire Trevor Williams from the Cubs just before the deadline, added Rich Hill last week, and will get Carlos Carrasco back from the injured list to start Friday’s game, so they did at least add three reinforcements – and if you can’t replace deGrom, who has a 1.08 ERA this season, the Mets have to hope that combination can join Taijuan Walker, Marcus Stroman, and Tylor Megill to hold down the fort for now.