We’ve all heard the cliché “new year, new me” time and time again. But, when will we actually mean it? But, you know how it goes. A sweet treat here. A pit-stop at a fast-food restaurant there. A “I swear, the diet starts Monday” following an absolute banger of a weekend.
Look, we get it. Keeping up with your personal goals can be challenging with all of the chaos in our busy lives! But, the good news is: we can help.
To kick of the new year right, our friends at Virtua Health put together some healthy appetizers that are easy to make and perfect for your New Year's Eve party!
spinach artichoke dip
Looking for something healthy but also smooth, creamy, and delicious? This spinach artichoke dip is just what you need. Loaded with nutrients, this crushable app can prevent weight loss, and improve your liver and digestive health.
• 4 oz. cream cheese
• ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
• ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
• ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
• ½ cup 12 oz. spinach (fresh or frozen)
• If frozen, must be drained and dry
• 10 oz. jar of artichoke hearts chopped
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• Preheat oven to 375 degrees (or can use a slow cooker).
• Blend together cream cheese, yogurt, half of the parmesan cheese, half of the mozzarella cheese, and minced garlic with a mixer.
• Add spinach and artichoke hearts (making sure they're dry) to the mix and fold in.
• Transfer to a baking dish and add the other halves of the parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.
• Bake for 25 minutes, until cheese is golden brown, and enjoy with carrots, bread, or pita chips!
spicy buffalo cauliflower bites
Spice up a traditional veggie tray with these delectable buffalo cauliflower bites! Easy to eat and full of flavor, these bite sized apps taste like typical wings but way healthier! This five ingredient recipe is a must make for this holiday season.
• 10 cups of cauliflower florets
• 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
• 4 tbsp of your favorite hot sauce (can use more or less depending on how spicy you want them)
• 4 tbsp siracha
• 2 tbsp melted butter
• ½ lemon
• Dash of salt and pepper to taste
• Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
• Add cauliflower florets to a baking sheet and roast in the oven until they soften or brown on the bottom.
• While roasting, create sauce by combining olive oil, hot sauce, siracha, butter, juice from half of a lemon, and seasonings.
• When cauliflower is ready, toss in the sauce and then place back in the oven for 5-10 minutes for it to warm together.
• Serve with toothpicks and enjoy!
Deviled eggs are a classic app for any occasion! They serve as a double agent for being delicious and healthy. Full of Vitamin B, Vitamin K, and Vitamin A, deviled eggs will have you feeling your best even after eating so many!
• 12 large eggs
• 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
• 2 tsp Dijon mustard
• 6 tbsp mayonnaise
• Paprika, salt, and pepper
• Boil a pot of water and add your eggs. Reduce heat to low when adding them and then bring it back to a boil until eggs are cooked to perfection (about 12 minutes).
• While eggs are boiling, make an ice bath for them by putting ice and water into a bowl. Remove eggs from pot and add to bowl when they're finished cooking.
• After the eggs cool, peel off the shell and slice them in half vertically.
• Remove the yolks and place them in a bowl.
• Mash yolks and combine with vinegar, mustard, mayo, and salt and pepper until a creamy texture is created.
• Scoop new mixture back into the egg whites and sprinkle with paprika for taste before enjoying!
If you secretly dread this mouthwatering time of year because you have been dealing with digestive issues, our friends at Virtua can help! They've built a comprehensive digestive health program designed to help with gut issues, big or small. Connect with their team today!
Follow Philly’s B101.1
TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK | TIKTOK
Follow Virtua Health
TWITTER | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM