Woman dumped outside West L.A. hospital after night out now brain dead

Christy Giles (left) with Hilda Marcela Cabrales-Arzola (right).
Christy Giles (left) with Hilda Marcela Cabrales-Arzola (right). Photo credit Jan Cilliers

LOS ANGELES (KNX) — A 26-year-old interior designer who was left outside a Kaiser Permanente hospital in West Los Angeles two weeks ago, hours after her friend’s dead body was dumped at another facility nearby, has been declared brain dead.

Hilda Marcela Cabrales-Arzola had been in a coma for two weeks, according to family.

Live On-Air
K N X Ten Seventy
Listen Now
Now Playing
Now Playing

Coroners detected heroin in Cabrales-Arzola’s system after she was admitted to the hospital on Nov. 13. According to her deceased friend’s husband, the drug “is nothing that either of those girls would ever do, not voluntarily.” He and family members suspected foul play for the death of his wife, model Christy Giles, who was with Cabrales-Arzola the night before.

Giles’ body was dumped on a sidewalk outside a Culver City hospital the day after her 24th birthday. She and Cabrales-Arzola had reportedly been celebrating together the evening of Nov. 12.

According to law enforcement, the women connected with two men at a late-night party in the Hollywood Hills. Those men, later interviewed by police, said Cabrales-Arzola and Giles overdosed. It is not yet known if these men were the same that brought the women to hospitals.

Giles’ cell phone records indicated the women’s last known location in the early hours of Nov. 13 was at an apartment in Beverly Hills. Neighbors told The Sun that they heard the sound of someone “moaning in pain” coming from the apartment all day just prior to the women being discovered at hospitals.

The Sun reported the apartment was rented by David Pearce. It is unconfirmed if Pearce was among the men questioned by police in connection with the incident, but The Sun reported officers with the Los Angeles Police Department visited the property.

Giles’ records also showed she texted Cabrales-Arzola at around 5:30 a.m. on Nov. 13 to say, “Let’s get out of here,” accompanied with a wide-eyes emoji. Hilda replied, “Yes,” and said she had ordered an Uber — but messages between the women stopped after that.

Parents of both women have alleged their daughters were drugged against their will. Giles’ family claimed there was video of a vehicle without license plates, driven by men concealing their faces with black bandanas, which deposited the women at area hospitals.

Cabrales-Arzola would have turned 27 on Monday. Her family has announced that her organs will be donated to nine different people.

The incident remains under investigation.

Giles’ husband, Jan Cilliers, has set up a GoFundMe to raise money for an independent investigation into the matter, including a “private autopsy” and hiring private investigators.

Follow KNX 1070 Newsradio
Twitter  | Facebook | Instagram