Firefighters discover hoarder storing fuel in hotel room after 'report of smell of gas inside'

75756A5E-120A-4932-810C-2FD980DB785E

Firefighters on the Northshore are warning people about the dangers of hoarding gasoline after they were called to a hotel where someone was improperly storing gas.

"We are currently on scene of the Residence Inn in Covington for a report of a smell of gas inside," St. Tammany Fire District #12 posted.

They say that inside they found a guest with gas cans full of gasoline inside their hotel room.

The post went on to say (in all caps), "WE URGE EVERYONE TO PRACTICE SAFETY WHEN STORING GASOLINE!  PLEASE DO NOT STORE GAS INSIDE, GAS MUST BE STORED IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA AND IN PROPER CONTAINERS."

It comes amid reports of people across parts of the country hoarding gas amid fears of shortages with the temporary shut down of a major gasoline delivery pipeline.

Georgia-based Colonial Pipeline says the gas is flowing again, but it could take days before it's totally back to normal.

A cyber attack forced a temporary shutdown.  Panic buying then drained supplies.

One person commenting on the St. Tammany Fire District #12 Facebook post said, "Probably stored next to the toilet paper."

LISTEN on the Audacy App
Sign Up and Follow Audacy
Facebook | Twitter Instagram