ASEAN downgrades Myanmar presence in summit in major rebuke

ASEAN Myanmar

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — Southeast Asian foreign ministers have agreed to downgrade Myanmar's participation in an upcoming summit in their sharpest rebuke yet of its leaders following a Feb. 1 military takeover.

Myanmar objected to the decision by the Association of Southeast Asian Nations to invite a non-political representative instead of Myanmar's military leader, Senior Gen. Min Aung Hlaing, the grouping's chair Brunei said Saturday.

The 10-member bloc has been under intense international pressure to do more to force member state Myanmar to halt the violence that has left more than 1,100 civilians dead and to free scores of political figures, including ousted civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

ASEAN foreign ministers held an emergency meeting late Friday after Myanmar refused to cooperate with the bloc's crisis envoy, Brunei Second Foreign Minister Erywan Yusof. He was appointed in August to mediate in the crisis but abruptly canceled a trip to Myanmar last week after he was told he would not be able to meet with Suu Kyi and others as he wanted.

In a swift response, Myanmar’s foreign ministry said it was “extremely disappointed and strongly objected” to the group’s decision, which was made without the usual consensus required by ASEAN in its decision making.