Cineworld’s Regal Cinemas has announced plans to reopen for the first time in six months.
The company will begin a phased reopening theaters starting with a limited release of “Godzilla Vs. Kong” on Friday, April 2nd, reported Variety.
“We have long-awaited this moment when we can welcome audiences back to our Regal theaters and restore our essential role within the communities we serve,” Cineworld CEO Mooky Greidinger said in a press release. “With the health and safety of our customers, staff, and communities as our top priority, we continue to take all the necessary precautions and abide by our CinemaSafe guidelines to confidently provide a safe and comfortable experience.”
The news comes as major markets like New York and Los Angeles have recently begun to reopen theaters for the first time since the start of the pandemic last year.
“With capacity restrictions expanding to 50% or more across most U.S. states, we will be able to operate profitably in our biggest markets,” Greidinger added. “We will also be monitoring developments closely in the U.K. and across Europe as we set to gradually reopen across the world in line with local government guidance.”
Back in October 2020, Cineword announced it was temporarily shutting 536 Regal theaters in the U.S. due to the ongoing COVID pandemic.
Upon reopening, guests will be required to wear face masks at all locations and auditorium capacities will be reduced in accordance to state and county guidelines, the company said on its website.
Regal has yet to announce the location of theaters which will be reopening first to screen “Godzilla Vs. Kong.”
The sequel to the 2019 film "Godzilla: King of the Monsters" stars Alexander Skarsgard, Millie Bobby Brown and Rebecca Hall and will also be available on HBO Max.