Donald Trump has Queen Elizabeth’s back.
Despite telling Fox News’ “The Ingraham Angle” that he doesn’t “want to get into the whole thing,” the President made it clear where he stands on Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s decision to step down from royal duties.
Trump told host Laura Ingraham that he is disappointed with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s decision.
“I think it’s sad. I do. I think it’s sad. She’s a great woman,” he said presumably referring to the Queen.
“She’s never made a mistake if you look. I mean, she’s had like a flawless time,” he added.
When asked if he believed the royal couple should return to Buckingham Palace, he admitted that the Queen doesn’t deserve this.
“I just have such respect for the Queen, I don’t think this should be happening to her,” he said.
President Trump is a longtime supporter of the British monarch, according to FOX.
He has also previously expressed his distaste with Meghan Markle calling her “nasty” before retracting his comments, per the Washington Post.
“She was nasty to me. And that's OK for her to be nasty. It's not good for me to be nasty to her and I wasn't,” he last June clarifying a comment he made to The Sun after finding out that Markle threatened to move to Canada if he was elected in 2016.
The palace was apparently blindsided by Harry and Meghan’s bombshell announcement that they would be taking a step back from their royal duties in order to focus on their family by becoming more financially independent and transition into a “progressive new role” within the institution.
Harry and Meghan announced Wednesday that they're planning to reduce their roles in the royal family and split their time between the UK and the US The change will come with a more balanced schedule between the United Kingdom and North America.
“This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity,” the statement continues.
The news comes on the heels of speculation that the royal couple is looking to move to Canada. The two spent six weeks in British Columbia over the holidays, and have just returned to their royal duties with an appearance at Canada House in London.
As for the Palace, they released this statement: "Discussions with The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage. We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through."