Man dead after police shooting in Minnesota


A 20-year-old man is dead following an officer involved shooting in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota on Sunday, sparking unrest that included a march on the city's police station and looting of stores in a nearby shopping center.

The man who was shot is identified as Daunte Wright.

Estimates are that the crowd at the police station numbered about 500 people.

"That area is being controlled largely by the west metro command, supported by Minneapolis, Hennepin County, the state patrol, and DNR," said Minnesota public safety commissioner John Harrington during an early-morning news conference.

"We have reports of approximately twenty businesses that were broke into," said Harrington about the unrest that spread to the shopping center.

An overnight curfew in the northeast metro suburb lasted until 6:00 a.m. Monday, and Brooklyn Center schools canceled all in-person learning for the day.

"Our entire community is filled with grief," said Brooklyn Center mayor Mike Elliot. "Our hearts are with (Wright's) family and with all those in our community who are impacted by this tragedy."

There was also unrest reported in the north and south sides of Minneapolis, which is already on edge with the murder and manslaughter trial of Derek Chauvin, who's accused in last year's in-custody death of George Floyd that led to protests and rioting in the Twin Cities and worldwide.

Law enforcement have already moved Operation Safety Net into phase three, which includes an increase in local police and National Guard troops.

Harrington said Gov. Walz and others have discussed the possibility of continuing overnight curfews in the days ahead.

"I am closely monitoring the situation in Brooklyn Center," Gov. Walz posted on Twitter. "Gwen and I are praying for Daunte Wright’s family as our state mourns another life of a Black man taken by law enforcement."

According to a release by the Brooklyn Center Police Department, officers pulled over the man for a traffic violation just before 2:00 p.m. on Sunday.

Officers found out that the driver had an outstanding warrant and attempted to flee the scene. An officer fired their gun and struck the driver. The driver was able to drive for several blocks before hitting another car.

The officer-involved shooting sparked outrage and protests around the scene. Some protests turned violent as police cars were damaged at the scene.

After leaving the scene, protesters marched to the Brooklyn Center Police Department. The department gave a 10-minute warning and called it an "unlawful assembly" before firing tear gas and rubber bullets at the protesters.

LISTEN on the Audacy App
Sign up and follow Audacy
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram