NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- Fire officials on Monday issued a warning to e-bike users following a string of fires across New York City that were apparently sparked by e-bike batteries.
Last week, there were four fires started by e-bike lithium-ion batteries, according to the FDNY.
Photos of the charred bikes were released by the FDNY along with a warning for New Yorkers to be careful when charging as well as storing the batteries.
"Lithium-ion batteries store a large amount of energy and can pose a threat if not treated properly. Like any product, a small number of these batteries are defective. They can overheat, catch fire, or explode," the FDNY said in an Instagram post.
The FDNY is also urging New Yorkers to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for charging and storing lithium-ion batteries which are commonly found in other devices such as cell phones, laptops, tablets, electric cars, and scooters.
"Lithium-ion batteries store a large amount of energy and can pose a threat if not treated properly. Like any product, a small number of these batteries are defective. They can overheat, catch fire, or explode," the FDNY's warning added.
• Purchase and use devices that are listed by a qualified testing laboratory.
• Follow the manufacturer's instructions for charging and storage.
• Do not charge a device under your pillow, on your bed, or a couch.
• Always use the manufacturer's cord and power adapter made specifically for the device
• Keep batteries/devices at room temperature. Do not place in direct sunlight.
• Store batteries away from anything flammable.
• If a battery overheats or you notice an odor, change in shape/color, leaking, or odd noises from a device discontinue use immediately.
If safe to do so, move the device away from anything that can catch fire and call 9-1-1.