Claiming a song to be the greatest of all time is a dubious task. You’ll never get a universal answer, everyone has a different taste in music that makes it impossible to come to an agreement on one specific song being the best of all time.
However! If you want to quantify it and go by chart data, it’s certainly a doable task. Using that method, we now have a new song that is the number one song of all time.
Since first appearing on the Hot 100 chart, “Blinding Lights” has spent a whopping 90 weeks on the chart beating out the 1960 Chubby Checker hit “The Twist” to take the top spot.
“I’ve always been tinkering with the [sounds of the] ’80s,” the Weeknd told Billboard about the song’s concept. “It was much more subtle before, but I’ve always wanted to completely dive into it. And 10 years in, I think I’ve earned it.”
The Weeknd also touched on how he was grateful he scored a mega-hit 10 years into his career rather than from the get go. “By the time 'Blinding Lights' happened, I was 10 years into my career and established as a music figure in the industry already,” he said. “So I’m glad ‘Blinding Lights’ happened when it happened as opposed to it being the first single I’ve ever dropped. That’d be scary for me.”
Billboard’s top songs of all time
1. Blinding Lights - The Weeknd
2. The Twist - Chubby Checker
3. Smooth - Santana feat. Rob Thomas
4. Mack the Knife - Bobby Darin
5. Uptown Funk! - Mark Ronson feat Bruno Mars
6. How do I Live - LeAnn Rimes
7. Party Rock Anthem - LMFAO feat Lauren Nemmett & Goonrock
8. I Gotta Feeling - The Black Eyed Peas
9. Macarena (Bayside Boys Remix) - Los Del Rio