HOUSTON (SportsRadio 610)- Astros manager Dusty Baker was optimistic Jose Abreu could salvage what so far has been a disappointing first season with the Astros after the team reinstated him from the 10-day IL on Wednesday.
Abreu had missed the last 12 games with lumbar spinal inflammation, but Baker said his recent batting practice had been better than its been in months.
"It looked like the time off helped him," the Astros manager said. "Helped his movement, helped his flexibility, which helps your bat speed."
Baker had Abreu in the six-hole of his lineup on Wednesday, playing first base, but the Astros will play it slow with the 36-year old, initially. Baker even floated the possibility of playing him every other day.
In the first year of a three-year, $58.5 million contract, Abreu appeared in 110-of-115 games before landing on the IL, but only six qualifying hitters have compiled an OPS worse than his .634 entering play on Wednesday, but Baker remains hopeful he'll see the White Sox version of Abreu before the season ends.
"He's very encouraged, and so is (Astros hitting coach Alex) Cintron, who spends a lot of time with him."
To make room for Abreu on the 26-man roster, the Astros optioned David Hensley to Triple-A Sugar Land.