(SportsRadio 610) - Two more Texans offensive linemen Justin Britt and Tytus Howard; defensive linemen Roy Lopez and Jordan Jenkins; and defensive backs Lonnie Johnson Jr. and Eric Murray tested positive for COVID-19, totaling more than 23 added to the reserve list just since last week.
The Texans' top wide receiver Brandin Cooks, their kicker Ka'imi Fairbairn and linebacker Eric Wilson were also added to the COVID-19 list Wednesday.
Cooks is the team's leading receiver in just about every category with 80 catches for 947 yards and five touchdowns, including two in last Sunday's 30-16 win against the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Fairbairn has three made kicks over 50 yards in the past two games, including a 61-yarder in a loss to the Seattle Seahawks at NRG Stadium. NFL insider Aaron Wilson reported the Texans worked out kicker Dominik Eberle last week.
With Lopez and Jenkins testing positive, Houston's defensive line is hit the hardest.
On Tuesday, Jaleel Johnson became the sixth Texans' defensive lineman to be placed on the list since last week. Jonathan Greenard, the team's sack leader, and DeMarcus Walker were put on the list last week. The Texans placed Maliek Collins, Jacob Martin and Derek Rivers on the list Monday.
Also on the list for Houston are starting linebackers Christian Kirksey, Kamu Grugier-Hill, cornerback Terrance Mitchell, guards Justin McCray and Lane Taylor, reserve safeties A.J. Moore and Terrence Brooks and practice squad players Cre'von LeBlanc and Jaylen Samuels. Samuels was brought back from the COVID-19 list Thursday, bringing the Texans' current total to 23 players on the list.
Vaccinated players can return if they have two consecutive negative tests within 24 hours. Wilson, who the Texans claimed off waivers from the Philadelphia Eagles in November, is the only unvaccinated player on the team. That rules him out for at least 10 days, including Sunday's game against the Los Angeles Chargers.
When asked Wednesday morning about players possibly getting off the COVID-19 list, head coach David Culley said he did not expect it, rather more players would be added. On Thursday, the Texans added six players to the list and brought back one.
"We don't change the game plan so much as we go ahead and say this is what we want to do. We're game planning them as if the guys that are going to play are going to be there," Culley said. "If a guy tests positive for COVID and happens to be one of the guys we got plays for, it's the next man up. For the most part, we went through all of this last year. This year it's been, probably in the last two or three weeks, kind of rampant from the standpoint of guys coming up the day before the game or two or three days before the game and you're not sure they are going to get their two negative tests to be able to go, the guys that are vaccinated.
"Basically, we try to not let it be a distraction and disruption and we just go with the next guy up."




