(670 The Score) Bears quarterback Justin Fields isn't expected to play against the Chargers next Sunday as he continues to recover from a dislocated right thumb.
Fields is considered "doubtful" to play as he works back from his injury, coach Matt Eberflus told reporters Monday at Halas Hall. If Fields can't play, the Bears will turn to rookie Tyson Bagent as their starting quarterback for a second straight game.
Bagent went 21-of-29 for 162 yards and a touchdown in the Bears' 30-12 win over the Raiders on Sunday, which marked his first NFL start. Fields will return to his starting role once he's cleared to return, Eberflus said after the win Sunday.
Fields, 24, has completed 61.7% of his passes for 1,201 yards, 11 touchdowns and six interceptions in six games this season. He suffered the right thumb injury during the Bears' loss to the Vikings on Oct. 15 at Soldier Field.
Fields has avoided surgery so far, with the team believing his injury can heal naturally.
The 23-year-old Bagent, an undrafted free agent signed out of Division-II Shepherd University, earned his place as the Bears' backup in September. Veteran Nathan Peterman is the team's No. 3 quarterback behind Bagent.
The Bears (2-5) and Chargers (2-4) will kick off at 7:20 p.m. CT on Sunday from SoFi Stadium.
670 The Score's Mark Grote contributed to this report.
Chris Emma covers the Bears, Chicago’s sports scene and more for 670TheScore.com. Follow him on Twitter @CEmma670.