NEW YORK (WCBS 880) — New York City officials on Friday seemed to embrace a proposal to honor 9/11 first responders and survivors with a parade.
Rep. Carolyn Maloney earlier in the day called on Mayor Bill de Blasio to honor the survivors with a parade up the Canyon of Heroes.
Mayor de Blasio’s office later responded that the proposal is a “great idea,” and added that they would contact first responders, families and advocates “to put on a world-class event.”
The idea comes as President Donald Trump is expected to sign a bill reauthorizing the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund on Monday.
The White House has invited more than 200 9/11 first responders, survivors, and family members of victims to the bill signing ceremony, which will be held in the State Dining Room.
Maloney believes the celebration should continue in Lower Manhattan.
“I’ve worked 18 years to pass the bill and we really need to celebrate the people that came together to make it happen and our heroes and heroines,” she told WCBS 880.
Typically a parade along the Canyon of Heroes is reserved for sports teams. Most recently, thousands of adoring fans lined the city’s Canyon of Heroes to shower the U.S. National Women's Soccer team with a blizzard of shredded paper and praise following their fourth historic World Cup victory.
Maloney says the heroes who risked everything in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks are just as deserving of the honor.
“The ‘Never Forget Our Heroes Act’ was like the all-star team of the ages and what we accomplished, what we achieved – no disrespect to sports – but what they achieved for us, the first responders, was much more important than any athletic team,” she said.
Maloney wrote to the mayor, "It's a small, but meaningful way to show our gratitude for the sacrifices they and their families made and continue to make each day."
The Senate gave final passage to the bill on Tuesday, ensuring the fund will never run out of money.