Harvey Weinstein Hospitalized Following Conviction

Harvey Weinstein
Photo credit David Dee Delgado/Getty Images

NEW YORK (WCBS 880) — Harvery Weinstein was taken to Bellevue Hospital following his conviction on Monday. 

Weinstein, who was immediately handcuffed and taken into custody was supposed to be taken to an infirmary unit at Rikers Island for medical supervision but was admitted to Bellevue Hospital instead, according to his lawyers.

He remains under observation for high blood pressure and heart palpitations and it's unclear how long he will be there.

His lawyer, Donna Rotunno confirmed the incident adding "he's fine."

A jury found disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein guilty on some counts at his rape and sexual assault trial in New York City.

The verdict was reached Monday on the fifth day of deliberations.

Listen To WCBS 880 For Updates | Sign Up For Breaking Newsletters

Weinstein was convicted of first-degree criminal sexual act for forcibly performing oral sex on a woman in 2006 and third-degree rape of a woman in 2013, but was acquitted of the two most serious counts of predatory sexual assault, as well as first-degree rape.

Following the verdict, Judge James Burke revoked bail for the 67-year-old and Weinstein was remanded into custody.

Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance praised the verdict and the victims who came forward during the trial.

“Weinstein is a vicious serial sexual predator who used his power to threaten, rape, assault, trick, humiliate and silence his victims,” he said. “This is the new landscape for survivors of sexual assault in America and I believe and this is a new day. It's a new day because Harvey Weinstein has finally been held accountable for crimes he committed.”

He told the victims he was grateful that they came forward.

 “To the survivors of Harvey Weinstein: I owe, and we all owe, an immense debt to you, who had the courage, beyond measure to speak your story to the world, to this courtroom at great personal risk and in great personal pain,” Vance said.

RELATED: Alleged Rape Victim Describes Attack In Emotional Testimony At Weinstein Trial

The judge gave the jury of seven men and five women the weekend off after they indicated on Friday that they were deadlocked on the top two charges of predatory sexual assault while unanimous on the lesser counts of rape and performing a criminal sexual act.

Weinstein had maintained that any sexual encounters were consensual and the defense had attempted to show this by displaying emails in which the victims remained in contact with Weinstein after the alleged attacks.

Attorney Donna Rotunno had said the prosecutors and witnesses created a “universe” that does not hold women accountable for “sitting at their computers and emailing someone across the country.”

The 67-year-old former movie producer was charged with raping one woman in a Manhattan hotel room in 2013 and forcibly performing oral sex on another woman in 2006. Both accusers, Miriam "Mimi" Haleyi and Jessica Mann, testified during the trial.

Six other accusers also came forward with their stories to bolster the prosecution argument that Weinstein has a long, terrible history with women.

Judge Burke says he will request Weinstein be put in an infirmary after Rotunno said he needed more medical attention following a recent back surgery following the verdict.

The defense says they plan to appeal Weinstein's guilty verdicts and that Weinstein was shocked when the verdict came down. 

“He was in shock. He handled it very stoically, but all he kept saying is: ‘I’m innocent, but I’m innocent,’” said attorney Arthur Eidala.

Sentencing is scheduled for March 11. The charge of criminal sexual act carries a maximum of 25 years, and third-degree rape carries a maximum of four years.