NEW YORK (WCBS 880) — A 21-year-old has been charged in connection to a car crash on the Brooklyn Queens Expressway that left a 35-year-old dead last year.
On March 23, 2020, police responded to a crash in the eastbound lanes of the expressway near the Exit 39 ramp to Queens Boulevard at around 8:45 p.m.
When officers arrived, they found 35-year-old Jesse McCalip inside a 2020 Hyundai Elantra, unconscious with “severe body trauma.”
EMS transported McCalip to NYC Health & Hospitals/Elmhurst in Queens, where he was pronounced dead.
An initial investigation determined that McCalip was stopped in the right lane of the eastbound expressway, near the shoulder, when he attempted to merge into the far-right lane, the NYPD said.
As McCalip attempted to merge, a 20-year-old driver in a 2017 Dodge Charger struck the Hyundai, causing the vehicle to slide along the concrete wall on its passenger side, before rotating and coming to a stop facing west in the eastbound lanes, police said.
Police say the 20-year-old remained at the scene and was not injured. At the time, he was not charged in connection to the death.
However, police announced Wednesday that Galib Dervisevic, now aged 21, has been charged with criminally negligent homicide, reckless driving and speeding.
According to an SILive report, 35-year-old McCalip was on his way to work as a veterinarian technician at Elmhurst Animal Emergency Hospital in Queens at the time of the crash.
The report notes that he was a beloved member of the community, husband and a father to two young children.