The Mets will be without their leadoff hitter on Saturday against the Reds, at least to start.
Brandon Nimmo, who left Friday night's game after making a diving catch in the outfield, is not in New York's starting lineup, and manager Luis Rojas told reporters that the team will have to check to see if the center fielder will be available off the bench.
"No update as of now on how he is or his availability for the game," Rojas said. "He's not gonna start. I will say that. As far as his availability off the bench, that's something we're waiting on from our performance staff."
Fortunately, it seems the team doesn't feel the injury to Nimmo is anything serious, even after doing further evaluations after Friday's loss at Citi Field.
"Last night we were a little more optimistic after the Zoom room here and went to the training room, as far as targeting where he felt the pinch, but out of precaution, we're just not gonna have him start," Rojas said. "We're gonna check him today and see how he is, and see what he can do for us at some point in the game."
Nimmo has been an on-base machine since returning from a shoulder injury in early July, drawing 20 walks so far this month and batting .282.
The Mets will get a lineup boost in the form of Javier Baez, who was on the field taking batting practice before Saturday's game after being acquired in a splashy trade just before the deadline. Baez will wear number 23 since his usual number nine is being worn by Nimmo, but David Peterson gave up his 23.
Baez is batting cleanup for his Mets debut.
Follow Ryan Chichester on Twitter: @ryanchichester1
Follow WFAN on Social Media
Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Twitch




