Orchard Park, N.Y. (WGR 550) - Now that the 2022 NFL season has come to a close, here is a look at what’s coming up on the league’s calendar for the start of the offseason and into the 2023 season:
Listen to WGR now!
Tuesday, Feb. 21:
- Window opens for teams to designate Franchise-tag or Transition-tag players.
Tuesday, February 28 through Monday, March 6:
- NFL Scouting Combine (Indianapolis, Ind.)
Tuesday, March 7:
- Deadline for teams to designate Franchise-tag or Transition-tag players
- Teams may begin bringing draft-eligible prospects to their facilities for visits and physicals. No on-field workouts are permitted.
Monday, March 13 through Wednesday, March 15:
- Teams can negotiate with pending free agents, but cannot officially sign them.
Wednesday, March 15:
- At 4 p.m. ET, the New League Year begins, including NFL Free Agency. In addition, all teams must be below the 2023 salary cap at this time, counting their top-51 salary cap hits.
Sunday, March 26 through Wednesday, March 29:
- Annual League/Owner's Meetings (Phoenix, Ariz.)
Monday, April 3:
- Teams that hired a new head coach may begin their offseason workout program (conditioning, etc.).
Monday, April 17:
- Teams with a retuning head coach (Bills) may begin their offseason workout program (conditioning, etc.).
Friday, April 21:
- Deadline for restricted free agents to sign an offer sheet with another team.
Wednesday, April 26:
- Deadline for teams to retain restricted free agents who signed an offer sheet with another team.
Thursday, April 27 through Saturday, April 29:
- 2023 NFL Draft in Kansas City, Mo.
- Round 1: Thursday, April 27
- Rounds 2-3: Friday, April 28
- Rounds 4-7: Saturday, April 29
May 5-8 or May 12-15:
- Rookie minicamps (team choice for dates)
- NFL schedule released (exact date TBD)
May and June:
- Minicamp (dates TBD)
Wednesday, July 26 (approx.):
- Training camp begins
Follow me on Twitter: @SalSports