NOAA forecasts average hurricane season

Photo credit NOAA

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration today released the forecast for the Atlantic Hurricane Season that starts in one week.

NOAA forecasters say there's a 40% chance of a near-normal season, 30% chance of an above average season and a 30% chance of a below normal season.

The federal agency forecasts 12 to 17 named storms, five to nine becoming hurricanes and one to four becoming strong enough to be a major hurricane with winds greater than 110 mph.

The historic average is 14 named storms, with seven becoming hurricanes and three of those major hurricanes.

Photo credit NOAA
Featured Image Photo Credit: NOAA