NEW YORK (1010 WINS/WCBS 880) – Police are investigating the death of a 3-month-old girl who was found unresponsive at a migrant shelter in Long Island City on Sunday afternoon.
The girl was found unconscious around 2:45 p.m. at the Queens County Inn and Suites, a hotel that is serving as an emergency shelter for migrants.
NYPD officers responded to a 911 call from the hotel at 4034 Crescent St. The girl's mother made the call, according to sources.
The infant was rushed to Mount Sinai Queens, where she was pronounced dead. She has not been identified.
The medical examiner will determine her cause of death as a police investigation continues, the NYPD said.
A spokesperson for the Department of Social Services, which oversees shelters, called the child's death "an absolutely heart-breaking tragedy."
"Protecting the health and safety of our clients is our top priority, and non-profit provider staff responded immediately when this incident was reported to ensure appropriate medical support," the spokesperson said. "Our deepest condolences go out to all who have been impacted, and we stand ready to provide the family with every support we can during this incredibly difficult time."
Roughly 170,000 asylum seekers have come through the city's intake center since spring 2022, and about 70,000 remain in the city's care, according to City Hall. The city has opened more than 210 emergency sites to handle the influx, including 18 large-scale shelter centers.
Gov. Kathy Hochul announced last week that the state would set aside another $2.4 billion to help the city with the crisis, including $500 million from the state's emergency reserves.





