NEW YORK (1010 WINS) – As ICE operations continue around New York City, new fears are emerging, fueled by misinformation, including a rumor that hospitals are reporting undocumented individuals or patients.
"We care about your health, not your immigration status," NYC Health + Hospitals said in a social media post. "We want you to get the care you need today, before you get sick and before it becomes an emergency. All New Yorkers should seek care without fear."
The network, which serves over one million patients annually across more than 70 care locations, reassured New Yorkers that all individuals, regardless of immigration status, can seek medical care without fear.
Earlier this month, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) rescinded the "protected areas" policy, which previously limited ICE from actions in locations such as schools, hospitals, and houses of worship.
An Instagram post showed a picture of NYC Health + Hospitals/Elmhurst
and stated the facility was "reporting anyone who doesn't have an ID and proof of citizenship to the police," according to the Gothamist. "They have told their employees to report anyone who comes in without a valid ID," it read. "Be warned and share with the community."
Councilmember Shekar Krishnan, who represent the district that includes Elmhurst Hospital, called the rumors "extremely unfortunate." He said that such fears could deter community members from seeking necessary healthcare, particularly at public hospitals.
The city is on edge as federal law enforcement began "enhanced target operations" as part of President Donald Trump's immigration crackdown, arresting a purported high-profile gang member in the Bronx, as federal agencies ramped up immigration enforcement in the city earlier this week.
Trump's new secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, Kristi Noem, posted video Tuesday morning of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers arresting the man, who's a suspected member of the Venezuelan gang Tren de Aragua, according to multiple reports.
"Enforcement operation in NYC," Noem posted on X shortly after 6 a.m. along with video of the man being led out of a first-floor apartment at West 170th Street and Ogden Avenue in the Highbridge section of the Bronx and into a waiting police vehicle.
In addition to concerns about enforcement actions at sensitive locations, false information has been circulating online, including claims that ICE is offering a $750 reward for tips about undocumented immigrants. These rumors have been debunked by multiple fact-checking organizations, which confirm that ICE is not providing such rewards. The dissemination of misinformation has led to heightened anxiety within immigrant communities.




