Skip to content

Condition: Post with Page_List

Listen
Search
Please enter at least 3 characters.

Latest Stories

Browns following COVID protocols “to a ‘T,’” Baker Mayfield encourages NFL players to “wear your mask”

CLEVELAND, Ohio (92.3 The Fan) – With COVID-19 positive tests on the rise and an outbreak with the Titans in Tennessee, the Browns continue to do all they can to remain safe.

Wednesday afternoon the league and NFLPA released the most recent test results from Sept. 27-Oct. 3 which confirmed 11 positive tests among players and 15 confirmed cases among other personnel.


This past weekend the NFL had to adjust the schedule by postponing the Titans-Steelers game, having Pittsburgh take their bye week and switching their game with the Ravens to Week 7. The Chiefs-Patriots was also moved to Monday with New England traveling on gameday after quarterback Cam Newton tested positive.

The odds are slim this will be the last adjustment the NFL will have to make this season and if the Browns end up being affected, they’ll be ready.

“We’ve got to be ready to adjust to what’s going on,” Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski said. “We’re trying to learn from what’s going on and see if there’s something that we can do better.”

In August, the Browns had to temporarily shut their facility down and cancel practice because of a slew of false positive test results for players and coaches, including Stefanski. Once they learned about the false positives only those affected remained away and did not participate in practice that day.

Wednesday morning another Patriots player – cornerback Stephon Gilmore – tested positive and Raiders defensive tackle Maurice Hurst was added to the reserve-COVID-19 list following a positive confirmed test.

Las Vegas head coach Jon Gruden has come under fire, and been fined by the league, for not properly wearing a mask on the sidelines and the NFL sent a memo to clubs Monday warning them stiffer punishment will follow if protocols are broken.

The Titans reportedly violated protocols last week despite an outbreak within their team while their facility was closed when players gathered for private workouts. Titans guard Rodger Saffold took to twitter to defend his teammates Wednesday afternoon.

“Guys just don’t work out for fun this is for their lively hood, their family, their opportunity. Say what you want but I’m standing up for my team always.” Saffold tweeted.

Stefanski has made sure the Browns are practicing and enforcing protocols this year while also monitoring developments around the league.

“There’s little things that you hear coming from some of these teams that maybe helps us,” Stefanski said. “We’re following the protocols to a ‘T.’ If there’s things that we can do above and beyond, we’re ready to do that.”

The Browns have built a dividing wall within their facility to separate football operations from the business side of the building and restricted access in accordance with league guidelines.

Quarterback Baker Mayfield claims he hasn’t changed much during the season this year, but he has avoided eating out as much as possible.

“Not much is different for me,” Mayfield said. “Still staying inside, not going out to restaurants too much and sticking to my business.”

He also had a message for those that don’t comply with the agreed upon protocols.

“To me it's not that damn hard. Just wear your mask,” Mayfield said. “We all want to play football. So, everybody’s got to do it. Just do it.”