After being sidelined for three months, Trevor Story can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Story was placed on the 10-day injured list on May 16, retroactive to May 15, with a sports hernia he had been managing since Spring Training. He underwent surgery on May 22 and was later transferred to the 60-day injured list to open a spot on the 40-man roster.
The 33-year-old played in his first rehab game for Triple-A Worcester on Sunday, playing four innings at shortstop and going 1-for-2 with a single to left and a flyout to center. He is scheduled to fly to Syracuse to join the WooSox for their games Tuesday and Wednesday.
Speaking with reporters Monday night, Story said he thinks it’s “a possibility” he could be back in Boston’s lineup when the Giants come to town for a three-game series beginning Friday.
So, what happens when Story is ready to return?
Interim Manager Chad Tracy joined WEEI’s Rich and Ken with Ted Johnson as part of the 24th annual WEEI/NESN Jimmy Fund Radio-Telethon, presented by Arbella Insurance (donate online here), to discuss the plan (full interview below).
“There’s dynamics to that as far as the group that’s here. Shortstop is where you put him. He’s a good shortstop,” Tracy said. “But as far as when he comes back, physically he probably could [return Friday]; it’s just talking about where he is physically. How does he feel? Do we feel like he could play every day at that point? Do you need to push a few more at-bats? We’ll have more conversations about that after tomorrow.
“But when he does come [back], shortstop with what he’s capable of doing if we can get him right and the home run ability, it makes the most sense. Then we have to navigate around that reality when that happens.”
The Sox have used Tsung-Che Cheng, Isiah Kiner-Falefa, Marcelo Mayer, Andruw Monasterio, and Nick Sogard at shortstop since Story went down. Monasterio, who has primarily held down the starting spot over the last few weeks, has made a strong case to remain in the lineup.
Monasterio has reached base safely in 25 of his last 29 games. Since the All-Star break, he is tied for the AL lead with 10 doubles while ranking tied for seventh in RBI (20), eighth in batting average (.315), and 10th in OBP (.385) in that span.
“Mona’s got to play,” Tracy said. “You guys have seen what he has done over the course of the last month and a half. How well he has swung the bat versus right and left. We’ll look at it. Prior to all the injuries happening, Mona was sliding all over the place. Third base, shortstop, he can play second, so there’s realities there where you have to mix and match with our guys, but keeping him involved in some heavy way is important because of how good the quality of the at-bat has been.”
That’s the interesting part of this situation.
Story is going to play shortstop when he returns. Tracy made that clear. But the Red Sox have also gotten some solid production from Monasterio, and it sounds like they want to find a way to keep his bat in the lineup.
Given Monasterio’s ability to play multiple positions, the Red Sox should have some flexibility there, but it will be something to keep an eye on once Story is back.
The bigger question is which version of Story the Red Sox are getting.
Story played in 41 of Boston’s first 43 games, batting .206 with a .244 on-base percentage and a .547 OPS. At the time of his injury, his OPS ranked 165th among 173 qualified hitters. He had struck out 57 times, eighth-most in the majors, while hitting just three home runs. His six errors would rank third on the team.
Now healthy, the Red Sox will need Story to return to the player they saw last summer.
Story was one of Boston’s better offensive players down the stretch last season and provided the type of power and athleticism the Red Sox expected when they signed him, leading the team in home runs (25) and steals (31).
They certainly didn’t get that version of him during the first six weeks of this season.
But if Story can return to that form, it would give Boston another major boost down the stretch.

