Fathers’ Support Center began in 1997 with one employee, Founder Halbert Sullivan, holding the first class in 1998. Starting as a small service agency dedicated to helping transform fathers disengaged from their children into nurturing parents, ready to support their children, FSC has grown into a comprehensive service agency with 55 full-time employees, having reached 16,000 fathers and made a difference for over 40,000 children.
Through its nationally-recognized curriculum, FSC has been called a Model for the Nation in Fatherhood programs and today is among the few agencies nationwide to set the standard for Best Practices in Fatherhood programs. FSC provides a comprehensive program of services for fathers, mothers and youth which includes:
· Family Formation Program, the core program of FSC, is year-long support program beginning with a rigorous, six-week, “full immersion” instructional portion men. Participants develop parenting skills for nurturing their children’s development. Graduates receive supportive services for at least one year.
· Parenting in Partnership (Co-parenting Project) is incorporated into the Family Formation Program and designed to help custodial and non-custodial parents work together to achieve positive results for their children.
· Employment/Mentoring is available to participants in the Family Formation Program. The focus is on developing job readiness/retention skills culminating in job placement. Also, FSC provides training and employment services for reentering offenders, preparing them for in-demand employment.
· Youth Leadership & Development encourages high-risk youth to become responsible citizens by avoiding high-risk behaviors such as gang involvement, drug/alcohol abuse, and unhealthy relationships. Staff assist youth with setting and pursuing educational and careers goals.
· FSC Legal Services offers high-quality, affordable legal counsel in family law. Participants in the Family Formation Program receive legal services in the areas of child support payment modifications, legal visitation, child custody, and more.
· Fathers’ Rap meets after usual work hours and draws from the Family Formation Curriculum.
FSC has also achieved prestigious national accreditation through the New York-based Council on Accreditation (COA). FSC is the 50th of more than 54,000 nonprofits in Missouri to have achieved COA accreditation.