Racist text messages were anonymously sent to Black and Hispanic students, including middle schoolers, last week, prompting inquiries by the FBI and other agencies.
The messages generally used a similar tone, but the exact wording varied. Some instructed the recipient to report to a particular location because they had been "selected to pick cotton" and referred to the presidential election.
In reaction to the news, President-elect Donald Trump's camp came out to say they were not behind the messages, but Earl Ofari Hutchinson, the Los Angeles Urban Policy Roundtable, says that's not enough.
Want to get caught up on what's happening in SoCal every weekday afternoon? Click to follow The L.A. Local wherever you get podcasts.
He told KNX News' Karen Adams, "President Trump got considerable black support. He's certainly got considerable Hispanic support. So I think...It would be a great gesture on the part of President Trump to show, 'I am concerned I take racism and bigotry very seriously.'"
Hutchinson said he is sending a letter to Trump Tuesday calling on him to denounce the racist texts directly.
Hutchinson is also waiting to hear back from the L.A. School District on his request to add more security around its campuses along with counselors to help students deal with the emotional trauma the texts have caused.
Follow KNX News 97.1 FM
Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | TikTok





