Skip to content

Condition: Post with Page_List

Listen
Search
Please enter at least 3 characters.

Latest Stories

San Bernardino faces $20M suit over fatal police shooting

Attorney Brad Gage with Victoria and Willie Brown
Attorney Brad Gage with Victoria and Willie Brown
Craig Fiegener/KNX News

The city of San Bernardino is facing a $20 million wrongful death claim following a deadly police shooting in December.

On Dec. 27, 28-year-old Robert Brown was pulled over for an alleged expired registration. According to the San Bernardino police, Brown ran from the vehicle and hopped a fence while holding a handgun. An officer then fired several shots, fatally striking him.


Brown’s family says the shooting was an overreaction, and alleges that he was pulled over due to racial profiling.

“He didn’t deserve to die like that,” Brown’s father, Willie Brown, said. “He ran, so what? They shoot him in his back? For a traffic infraction? And to say he had a gun?”

In released body cam footage, Brown can be seen holding an object in his right hand as he runs away, which the police department claims is a gun. Police said a nine-millimeter handgun, which had been reported stolen from out of state, was found at the scene.

But the family’s attorney, Brad Gage, questioned the police’s version of events.

“A stolen gun could come from anywhere. That could be in the police locker,” Gage said.

Want to get caught up on what's happening in SoCal every weekday afternoon? Click to follow The L.A. Local wherever you get podcasts.

The claim against San Bernardino alleges civil rights violations and seeks $20 million in damages. If it’s denied by the city, it could set the stage for a lawsuit.

Follow KNX News 97.1 FM
Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | TikTok