Air freshener sold at Walmart killed two with rare and dangerous bacteria

Deadly air freshener
Photo credit Walmart

After learning an air freshener sold at their stores killed at least two people this week, including a child, Walmart hastily and voluntarily recalled about 3,900 bottles of the offending spray.

The Better Homes and Gardens Essential Oil-Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones was determined by federal regulators to contain Burkholderia pseudomallei, a bacteria described as “rare and dangerous.”

Exposure to this particular bacteria can result in melioidosis, a difficult to diagnose condition that can also prove fatal. The infection is also known as Whitmore’s disease, according to the CDC.

“Our sympathies go out to the four families that have been impacted by this situation,” the company said in a statement Tuesday.

“Customer safety is always a top priority and as part of the recall we proactively put plans in action to notify customers and prevent further product sales while federal agencies continue their investigation.”