Skip to content

Condition: Post with Page_List

Listen
Search
Please enter at least 3 characters.

Latest Stories

Man charged with attempted murder after shootout with officer in Calumet City: police

Man charged with attempted murder after shootout with officer in Calumet City: police
Getty Images

CALUMET CITY, Ill. (WBBM NEWSRADIO) -- A man wounded in a shootout with a Calumet City police officer last week in the south suburb is charged with attempted murder.

Alvin Burrage, 28, also has additional charges pending against him, Calumet City police said in a statement.


The charges stem from an incident which unfolded after an officer pulled Burrage over about 4:53 p.m. March 25 in the 500 block of Jeffrey Avenue, police said.

Burrage allegedly stepped out of the car, reached into the back for a gun and raised it in the officer's direction, police said.

The officer fired one shot, striking Burrage, who ran and allegedly fired several shots at the officer, police said. Burrage got back into his car and drove off.

He was later located at St. Catherine Hospital in East Chicago, Indiana where he was arrested, police said. He was transferred to another trauma center, where he remains in critical condition.

Investigators allegedly recovered Burrage's gun from the scene of the shootout, police said.

The Illinois State Police Public Integrity Task Force is investigating.

Burrage is expected to appear in bond court Sunday.

(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire & Chicago Sun-Times 2021. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)