Chris Sale currently has one of the more team-friendly contracts in the league among superstar players. But, that likely will change when he becomes a free agent after this coming season.
Although he will likely have a deal that gets him more than his $15 million this coming season, it appears the Red Sox would like him back.
Appearing on Mut & Callahan Monday morning, Red Sox chairman Tom Werner said the team and Sale have discussed a new contract.
“We have had private conversations," he said. "The best thing for us is to keep these conversations private. We have to come to an understanding that is good for both sides. We’ve had conversations with him. In a perfect world we would love to have him back. He is one of the great pitchers in the American League.”
In two seasons with the Red Sox, Sale is 29-12 with a 2.56 ERA.
As for J.D. Martinez, who has an opt out after this year, Werner said there have been no extension talks with him.
“We haven’t had a conversation about that — his opt out," he said. "That is his option, but we would love to have him have a year as great as last year and keep going."