Less than ideal conditions, and a less than ideal outcome for the Buffalo Bills on “Monday Night Football”.
With the AFC East lead on the line, the Buffalo Bills couldn't pull out the victory, losing to their long-time rival, New England Patriots, 14-10 at Highmark Stadium in Orchard Park.
The Bills had to deal with an onslaught of running plays in a game where Patriots quarterback Mac Jones only threw three passes on the night, completing two of them.
Meanwhile, New England’s running backs Damien Harris, Rhamondre Stevenson, and Brandon Bolden combined for a total of 217 yards on 38 carries.
Harris exploded through the Bills defense for the first touchdown of the game on a 64-yard run in the first quarter. The Patriots then went for two points and succeed with a run from Bolden.
The Bills answered right back on the next drive after a muffed punt by N'Keal Harry that was recovered by Siran Neal. On the first play from scrimmage, Josh Allen fired a 14-yard strike to Gabriel Davis to bring the Bills to within a point.
The Patriots had the wind at their backs in the second quarter and were able to drive down the field. After being stopped by the Buffalo defense, New England settled for a 41-yard field goal from Nick Folk to make it an 11-7 game.
In the third quarter, the Bills drove down to New England's 17-yard line, but have to settle for a field goal of their own. Buffalo earned a 35-yard field goal from kicker Tyler Bass to pull the Bills to within one again, 11-10.
The Patriots were first on the board in the fourth quarter with a 34-yard field goal from Folk that ended up icing the game in the end.
Buffalo had a chance to close the gap again on the next drive, but kicking into the scoreboard end of Highmark Stadium, Bass missed a 33-yard chip shot wide-right.
The Bills defense came up with a huge stop to force a Patriots punt from their own 29-yard line. However, this would not be enough for the Bills.
After driving to the as the New England 18-yard line with time running out in the game, Allen’s fourth down pass attempt to Davis in the end zone was batted away to seal a Patriots win.
- 8-0 NEW ENGLAND: Patriots touchdown (5:18) - Damien Harris explodes through the defense for a 64 yard run. ( Brandon Bolden rushes two yards for the successful two-point conversion)
Drive info: 3 plays, 69 yards, 1:37
- 8-7 NEW ENGLAND: Bills touchdown (0:05) - Josh Allen connects with Gabe Davis on a 14 yard pass after the Bills recover a muffed punt. ( Tyler Bass' extra point attempt is good)
Drive info: 1 play, 14 yards, 0:05
- 11-7 NEW ENGLAND: Patriots field goal (5:34) - Nick Folk caps off a 9 play drive for the Patriots with a 41 yard field goal.
Drive info: 9 plays, 52 yards, 5:34
- 11-10 NEW ENGLAND: Bills field goal (2:40) - Tyler Bass helps the Bills to within 1 with a 35 yard field goal.
Drive info: 8 plays, 46 yards, 2:40
- 14-10 NEW ENGLAND: Patriots field goal (8:30) - Nick Folk makes his second field goal of the night this one from 35 yards.
Drive info: 14 plays, 59 yards, 8:30
The Bills will look to rebound on Sunday when they travel to Tampa Bay to take on Tom Brady and the Super Bowl champion Buccaneers at Raymond James Stadium. Kickoff is set for 4:25 p.m. EST with John Murphy, Eric Wood and Sal Capaccio on the call.