Skip to content

Condition: Post with Page_List

Listen
Search
Please enter at least 3 characters.

Latest Stories

Attorneys: More Than 50 Victims Of Former Michigan Doctor Hope To Avoid Public Lawsuit

Attorneys with Wahlberg, Woodruff, Nimmo & Sloane
Photo: Jon Hewett / WWJ

(WWJ) -- Attorneys for upwards of 50 alleged victims of former University of Michigan Doctor Robert E. Anderson say they have begun talks with the school, hoping to avoid a public lawsuit.

Anderson is accused of sexually abusing more than 100 patients during his time as a doctor for the university, from 1966 to 2003. Among those victims are roughly 50 clients who are represented by the Denver-based law firm of Wahlberg, Woodruff, Nimmo & Sloane, who all say they were abused, but don't want to file a lawsuit.


"The clients that we represent love and cherish the University of Michigan. Some of our clients are still employed by the University of Michigan. Some of our clients have expressed to us that they don't want to be alienated or punished by the University of Michigan and they don't want the University of Michigan to be dragged through the mud with this investigation," attorney Parker Stinar said at a press conference Wednesday night.

The victims, both male and female, played various sports at Michigan, including football, baseball, track & field, swimming, wrestling and hockey. One of the victims was a member of the 1997 national championship football team, while another went on to play in the NHL. The firm also represents multiple non-athletes who say they were abused.

Stinar says his clients are hoping to reach a settlement with the university without having to file a lawsuit publicly. 

separate client, however, has filed a lawsuit as a John Doe wishing to remain anonymous. That man, represented by former Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox out of Livonia, filed suit Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Detroit, claiming he was abused dozens of times. The victim was a wrestler in the late 1980s.

Cox says he expects to file 10 more lawsuits by Thursday afternoon, according to the Associated Press.

The legal team met with University of Michigan officials Wednesday morning ahead of the press conference, but it is not clear where the two parties stand in terms of a lawsuit.

 "Every individual that's having their voice heard is a hero," Stinar said. "Some of them are able to go forward and share their story with the press, others at this time want to remain confidential, and we're respecting that, and that's one of the reasons we're avoiding a public lawsuit at this point."

Though Stinar's clients want to settle without a lawsuit, they have asked the attorney general to investigate the allegations.

In a statement emailed to WWJ, the university says it cannot comment on the matter.

"We can't comment other than to deeply apologize for the harm caused by Robert E. Anderson," the statement said. "We recognize the enormous strength and courage it takes for survivors to come forward and share their stories. The university continues to encourage those who have been harmed by Robert E. Anderson or who have evidence of his misconduct, to come forward. It's important that the University of Michigan hear your voices. The university is offering counseling services at no personal cost to anyone affected by Anderson."

The allegations against Anderson, who died in 2008, came to light last month and the school set up a hotline for alleged victims, which has received more than 100 unique claims, detailing Anderson's abuse.