SOUTHFIELD (WWJ) - If you're not vaccinated, get vaccinated.
That's the word from state health officials who are concerned about a rise in Measles cases in Oakland County.
Three suspected cases have now been confirmed, according to the Oakland County Health Division, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the county to eight since March 13.
Symptoms include a red, blotchy rash, tiny white spots on the inner cheeks, gums, and roof of the mouth; high fever, cough, a runny nose and red, watery eyes.
"We have people with symptoms showing up to emergency rooms and hospitals, and potentially exposing those that are in the waiting area," Minicucci said. "So what we would recommend is if you do believe you have symptoms, contact your health care provider so that they can make sure and prepare to make sure that we're minimizing exposure."
Measles is highly contagious and can be fatal in young children.
If you are unsure whether you have been vaccinated or have had measles in the past, you're urged to contact your doctor.
"We do know that Oakland County has a very high unvaccinated rate of individuals, so we want to make sure that's something that we're doing is getting people in to get vaccinated," she said. "We do know that if you get the Measles vaccine, it is very good at protecting against getting Measles down the line. "
If you were at the following locations on the dates and times listed below, you were at risk of being exposed to measles:
March 14 – March 19
• Congregation B’Nai Israel: 15400 W. 10 Mile Rd., Oak Park• Ahavas Olam: 15620 W 10 Mile Rd., Southfield• Yeshiva Gedolah of Greater Detroit: 24600 Greenfield Rd., Oak Park• Kollel Institute of Greater Detroit: 15230 Lincoln St., Oak Park
March 15 – March 18
• One Stop Kosher Food Market: 25155 Greenfield Rd., Southfield
• Young Israel of Oak Park: 15140 W. 10 Mile Rd., Oak Park, After 1:00 – 6:00 p.m.• Kroger, 23675 Greenfield Rd.: Southfield, 12:00 – 3:00 p.m.• Beaumont Medical Building, 1st Floor: 3535 W. 13 Mile Rd., Royal Oak, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.• SKLD Bloomfield Hills: 2975 N. Adams Rd., Bloomfield Hills, 12:00 – 3:00 p.m.• Westborn Market: 27659 Woodward Ave., Berkley, 12:30 – 3:30 p.m.• Jax Kar Wash: 27054 Woodward Ave., Royal Oak, 1:00 – 4:00 PM
• Beth Tefilo: 24225 Greenfield Rd., Southfield, 8:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m• North Oakland Health Center | 1200 N. Telegraph Road 34E | Pontiac, MI 48341-0432 | (248) 858-1280 | oakgov.com/health• South Oakland Health Center | 27725 Greenfield Road | Southfield, MI 48076-3663 | (248) 424-7000 | oakgov.com/health
• Yeshivas Darchei Torah School: 21550 W. 12 Mile Rd., Southfield, 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.• Beth Tefilo: 24225 Greenfield Rd., Southfield, 8:00-11:00 a.m.• Lowe’s Home Improvement: 28650 Telegraph Rd., Southfield, 12:20-3:30 p.m.• Lowe’s Home Improvement: 434 W. East 12 Mile Rd., Madison Heights, 3:00-7:00 p.m.• Home Depot: 660 W. 12 Mile Rd., Madison Heights, 4:30 – 7:00 p.m.
• Kroger: 19853 W. 12 Mile Rd., Southfield, 8:00 -11:00 p.m.• Berkley Medical Center: 1695 W. 12 Mile Rd., Berkley, 11:15 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.• Meijer: 28800 Telegraph Rd., Southfield, 1:00 -4:30p• Yeshivas Darchei Torah School: 21550 W. 12 Mile Rd., Southfield, 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.• Oakland County Circuit Court Building: 1200 N. Telegraph Rd., Bldg.12E, Pontiac, 1:30 - 5:00 p.m.• ABC Warehouse: 24725 Southfield Rd., Southfield, 3:30 - 7:00 p.m.• Universal Plumbing Supply: 14511 W. 11 Mile Rd., Southfield, 4:40 – 7:30 p.m.
• 211 W. Fort St., Detroit, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. This building includes Detroit Economic Club, U.S. Department of Labor, U.S. Passport Office, and more.
• Brede, Inc.: 19000 Glendale Ave., Detroit, 12:00 -7:30 p.m.• Rite Aid: 24850 Greenfield Rd, Oak Park, After 3:30 p.m.• Beaumont Medical Building, 1st Floor: 3535 W. 13 Mile Rd., Royal Oak, After 3:00 p.m.• Providence Park Novi Medical Building: 26850 Providence Parkway, Novi, after 1:00 p.m.
In additon, in Wayne County, the city of Detorit said one infected person was at the U.S. Bankruptcy Court on Fort Street on Tuesday, while another was inside Brede Foods on Glendale on Wednesday.
The public is urged to watch for symptoms for 21 days after potential exposure, noting that the vaccine is effective within 72 hours of exposure to prevent illness.
Vaccines available: The Health Division will host a special measles vaccination clinic open to the public, offering only the MRR vaccine:
• Saturday, March 23, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the South Oakland Health Center, 27725 Greenfield Rd., Southfield.
The measles vaccine is also available at Oakland County Health Division offices in Southfield and Pontiac and some health providers. Health Division offices are open Monday, 8:30 a.m.- 6:00 p.m. and Tuesday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m. and are located at the following addresses:
• North Oakland Health Center, 1200 N. Telegraph Road, Building 34 East, Pontiac• South Oakland Health Center, 27725 Greenfield Road, Southfield
The health department says kids are recommended to receive their first dose of MMR at 12-15 months of age. The one dose MMR rate from Michigan Care Improvement Registry (MCI) for the state's 19-36 month old children is 85 percent statewide. Children are supposed to receive their second dose of MMR at 4-6 years of age at school entry. The state's two dose coverage for MMR from the MCIR for kids 5 years of age is 82 percent.
The OCHD's Nurse On Call phone line at 800-848-5533 will be open 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday to answer any questions at 800-848-5533, or send an email to email@example.com. The OCHD will update the list at www.oakgov.com/health as more information becomes available.