DETROIT (WWJ) -- The father of an 8-year-old Detroit boy who was shot in the head earlier this week has been charged with four counts of second-degree child abuse.
Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy on Thursday announced the charges against 27-year-old Kayvon Barrett, two days after his son was shot in the head.
The prosecutor's office alleges the child found an unsecured handgun in the home and fired it, striking himself in the head.
Earlier this week Detroit police were still investigating who fired the gun, as three other children, ages 1, 5 and 6, were home at the time of the incident, which happened around 11 a.m. Tuesday inside a home on Snowden Street – near Schaefer Highway and Lyndon Street.
Police officials previously said four adults – the boy's parents and his aunt and uncle – were sleeping at the time of the shooting.
The boy was listed in critical condition at a hospital Wednesday afternoon, and there has been no update on his condition.
Police with a search warrant recovered multiple firearms from the home, including the gun they alleged was used in the shooting.
"I am so sad to hear that another child has been injured by finding an unsecured gun. I don't know what more I can say. Lock and secure your weapons to avoid a tragic situation," Worthy said, per a press release.
Barret was arraigned Friday morning in 36th District Court. Bond was set at $100,000 cash, with a GPS tether and house arrest if he is released.
A bond re-determination hearing was scheduled for Monday morning, and a probable cause conference was set for Oct. 20.




