Skip to content

Condition: Post with Page_List

Listen
Search
Please enter at least 3 characters.

Latest Stories

Detroit man charged with 8 counts of arson for blaze that sent firefighters to the hospital

DETROIT (WWJ) – A Detroit man is facing a slew of charges, including eight counts of first-degree arson, in connection with a fire on Detroit's north side last week that sent multiple firefighters to the hospital.

Anthony Fields, 34, was arraigned Tuesday, also facing one count of felon in possession and one count of felony firearm.


The charges stem from the alleged arson of a Detroit Land Bank home in the area of 7 Mile and John R Roads on July 28.

Crews responded to the home in the 80 block of Hollywood Avenue shortly before 1 p.m. Thursday. While firefighters were battling the blaze, officials say the house collapsed in on itself, trapping and injuring multiple firefighters.

Seven firefighters were taken to a hospital for treatment of injuries and smoke inhalation, while it took crews until around 3 p.m. to dig through the rubble and rescue an eighth firefighter who was buried waist deep.

Officials said all the firefighters were expected to recover.

On Friday, Detroit police officials said they believed a "serial arsonist" was responsible for the Thursday fire, as well as four other blazes in the three days prior..

The Wayne County Prosecutor's Office says Fields allegedly set the Hollywood Ave. home on fire and then fled the scene. He was arrested later the same day.

The prosecutor's office did not say whether Fields will be facing charges for any other fires, or if the other blazes are included in the charges brought Tuesday.