Person in custody in case of three men found murdered in basement of Southwest Detroit home: police

DETROIT (WWJ) -- Detroit Police have a person in custody in connection with a triple murder this week on the city's southwest side.

Late Friday morning, officials confirmed the arrest, but didn't release any details about the person.

Police are expected to share more information at a briefing Friday afternoon. Gets updates on your radio: AM 950. >>LISTEN LIVE

This update comes after police on Thursday said they'd identified three people who were found brutally murdered inside of a home, on S. Edsel near Fort Street and Outer Drive.

According to Detroit Police Assistant Chief Charles Fitzgerald, the three men — ages 72, 66, and 65 — died from blunt force trauma, and also suffered stab wounds. The bodies were covered in old, dirty laundry, and one was covered in a carpet, Fitzgerald said.

police on scene where bodies found in Detroit home
Photo credit Jon Hewett/WWJ

The bodies were discovered while police were responding to a missing persons report in the neighborhood, at around 1 p.m. Wednesday.

While officers were in the area, a man walked up and told them he'd been hit in the head with a hammer inside of the home, just the day before. When officers went into house to investigate, that's when they discovered the bodies in the basement.

At a news briefing, Fitzgerald was asked how much police know so far about what happened.

"I do know is that the gentleman that lived at that location was free to open his house to a lot of folks. So, you know, they come and go," Fitzgerald said.

"Unfortunately, there has been some speculation — which I don't like to get into too much — that possibly some drugs are being used in the location, but we can't confirm at this point."

The man who lived inside the home was among the dead, Fitzgerald said, as well was the man who was the subject of the missing persons report.

The names of the three men are not being released at this time.

Police said they were looking to talk to a person of interest, described as a light-skinned Black man in his 30s with dreadlocks.

It was not immediately clear if that was the person who was in custody Friday.

The DPD said its Homicide Task Force, which includes Michigan State Police, is handling the ongoing investigation.

Anyone who has any information about this case should call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-Speak Up (1-800-773-2587), or the DPD at 313-267-4600.

Featured Image Photo Credit: Jon Hewett/WWJ