LANSING (WWJ) - A Lansing-area priest will spend up to two decades behind bars after he embezzled hundreds of thousands of dollars from retired priests and put the stolen money toward his own charitable fund.
David Rosenberg, 72, of DeWitt, was sentenced on Monday (March 18) to four to 20 years in prison and ordered to pay restitution to the victims' estates after a jury found him guilty on eight felony charges last month, Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel announced.
Rosenburg was convicted on three felony counts of embezzlement from a vulnerable adult of more than $100,000 and other charges of larceny, taking money under false pretenses, and perjury.
According to Nessel, Rosenberg was employed as Director of the Lansing Catholic Diocese's St. Francis Retreat Center in DeWitt between 2015 and 2021 and oversaw the 95-acre property that included apartments occupied by retired priests.
During that time, Rosenberg stole approximately $780,000 from three priests living at the center and gave the stolen funds to his charitable foundation, FaithFirst, formerly the Rosenberg Family Corporation.
He was charged in connection to the crime in December 2022.
David Kerr, director of communications for the Diocese of Lansing, told Pillar Catholic they remain focused on supporting the victims of Rosenberg's actions.
"Upon the conclusion of these criminal proceedings, our prayers are naturally with those most affected by Father Rosenberg's actions, especially the close friends and family of his three victims, each of whom has since died, may they rest in peace," Kerr said.
Nessel added that the final amount of ordered restitution has not been set by the Court and may be further negotiated by the parties.
"Stealing from our elderly and vulnerable adults, especially from a position of authority, is a significant crime and this sentence reflects that" said Nessel. "My department will continue to prosecute these crimes, on behalf of victims living or deceased, and it is our hope that would-be thieves and scammers see this is a serious offense that can get them years behind bars."
Rosenberg is not the first Lansing priest to be convicted of stealing from his colleagues, the Pillar Catholic reported.
Fr. Jonathan Wehrle was charged back in 2017 with six felony counts of embezzlement after officials claimed he stole nearly $5 million from the parish where he was pastor.
Officials discovered the money had gone missing while conducting a diocesan audit.
Wehrle pleaded his innocent until his death in 2020.
According to Pillar Catholic, Wehrle had a six-bedroom, 11,000-square foot home built prior to his arrest. The late priest's lawyer argued that the house had been funded by family money.





