Skip to content

Condition: Post with Page_List

Listen
Search
Please enter at least 3 characters.

Latest Stories

Man, 33, accused of raping woman in her LI home, returning days later in clown makeup to burglarize it

Joseph Johnson, 33
Facebook

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- A Long Island man accused of raping a victim then returning to her home two days later in clown makeup to burglarize it was indicted, Suffolk County District Attorney Timothy D. Sini announced on Thursday.

"This is an extremely disturbing case," District Attorney Sini said. "As alleged in the indictment, this defendant went on a crime spree that escalated from breaking car windows to breaking into the victim's home twice in the span of 72 hours, raping and repeatedly strangling the victim while threatening her life. This is a dangerous individual and a convicted sex offender who is now off our streets thanks to the excellent work of the Suffolk County Police Department and Assistant District Attorney Ferron Lien."


Joseph T. Johnson, 33, returned to the residence after committing a string of car break-ins in the area and faces 13 charges including, including rape, criminal sex act and burglary.

According to officials, on Sept. 19, 2020, between approximately 1 a.m. to 3 a.m., Johnson allegedly broke into several cars parked near the Wyandanch train station by breaking the vehicles' windows.

Later the same day, Johnson allegedly broke into an occupied residence in Wyandanch where he raped and strangled a victim inside the home and also allegedly stole money from the residence.

Following the incident, the victim installed several surveillance cameras in and around the home, and on Sept. 21, 2020, the victim was alerted that the cameras had been turned off.

The cameras were found to have been damaged or turned away from the home, and the wires to the cameras' recording unit inside the house had been cut, authorities said.

Video surveillance that was captured before the cameras were damaged allegedly showed Johnson at the residence, wearing clown face paint.

Johnson was identified from the surveillance video by a Suffolk County Police Detective and was arrested in connection with the burglary.

Further investigation, including DNA testing, revealed that Johnson was the alleged perpetrator in the Sept. 19 rape and burglary, prosecutors said.

His bail was set at $500,000 cash, $1 million bond, or $5 million partially-secured bond and is due back in court on March 9.

If convicted, Johnson faces a maximum sentence of 25 years in prison for the alleged crimes on Sept. 19, 2020, and a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison for the crimes on Sept. 21, 2020, for a total of 40 years in prison if sentenced consecutively, officials said.